Introduced in Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite, Dark Mode makes controls prominent by darkening windows and merging them with the background. This system feature can help reduce eye strain, help you focus more on the task at hand, and reduce your Mac’s power consumption. Additionally, enabling the dark theme on your Mac can help ease your eyes when you’re in low-light environments. So How To Make Mac Dark Mode? This tutorial is just here to help you, including various ways to put your MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, or other Mac machine into Dark Mode. Moreover, we also provide a step-by-step method to turn off or on mac dark mode
What is macOS dark mode?
Dark Mode is a special feature of macOS Mojave that allows you to switch to a black user interface. When Dark Mode is turned on, Mac’s default apps have a black background, and the text within them reverts to white and light gray colors.
Dark Mode was introduced in macOS as one of the major system updates. So, if you want to use Dark Mode on your Mac, you should update your current OS to Windows 10.14 or later.
Which is better, Mac light mode or Mac dark mode?
Before proceeding with switching to the macOS dark theme, we recommend weighing the pros and cons and whether it’s worth it. We’ve detailed some points readers should consider when using macOS Mojave’s light or dark mode.
How to enable Dark Mode on Mac/MacBook?
There are various ways to turn on Dark Mode on Mac computers, which apply to any Mac model, including MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac mini, iMac, etc. However, there are slight differences between different macOS versions.
There are usually three ways to put your Mac into dark mode. It’s available for the macOS you’re currently using, and you can choose the one you prefer.
Turn on Mac dark mode in the system preferences
This method is the most common one. And it’s enabled on the latest macOS Monterey and Big Sur as well as older macOS Catalina, Mojave, and High Sierra to OS X Yosemite.
- Click the menu of Apple then go to System Preferences.
- Select General in System Preferences.
- Select Dark mood and then go to the Appearance tab. On Mac High Sierra to OS X Yosemite, check the box labeled “Use dark menu bar and Dock.”
Enable Mac dark mode with Siri
- Using Siri is the quickest way to turn on Dark Mode on your MacBook.
- Click Siri from the Apple menu bar at the top.
- Click “Siri” from the menu bar.
- Click “Turn on Dark Mode” to Siri.
Please note that this method is limited to Mac computers running macOS Sierra or later, where Apple started using Siri on Macs.
Set dark mode on Mac in the control center
Control Center is a new feature designed with the release of macOS Big Sur and later versions. It contains dark mode settings and gives you another entry to quickly put your MacBook into dark mode.
- Click to open the Control Center icon in the Apple menu bar (upper right of your Mac screen).
- Select Display in the Control Center pane.
- Click Dark Mode to turn it on.
How to make your Mac even darker?
To make your Mac darker, click the Control Center icon in the upper-right corner of your screen and select Display. You will touch on “Dark Mode” then “Night Shift” to turn on them. Dark Mode inverts the colors of certain applications, and Night Shift makes the screen less blue and more yellow.
You could also click Preferences display at the bottom of the window pop-up. Then select Night Shift and drag the Color Temperature slider to Warmer. This can further reduce the amount of blue light from your screen, which helps with eye strain, especially when reading text at night.
How to attach a dark mode toggle to the menu bar?
Previous macOS versions required a third-party app to access the Dark Mode toggle from the menu bar. Thanks to the Control Center introduced in Big Sur, and you can add this toggle to your menu bar without installing anything.
Step 1: Open Control Center on your Mac and drag and drop the “Display” panel to the menu bar.
Step 2: go to the “Display” menu to move the window. From here, choose the Dark Mode option to fast enable and disable visual features.
Step 3: You can easily rearrange or remove the “Display” icon in the menu bar. Hold down the Command key and drag and drop the display icon where you want it to go.
Step 4: If you want to remove the display icon, drag the icon to your desktop and let go.
How to schedule dark mode on Mac?
MacOS could also automatically on or off Dark Mode, based on the part of day. Go to System Preferences > General and select the Automatic option from the Appearance section.
With this option on, macOS will automatically enable Dark Mode at night. Additionally, when you turn on your Mac in the morning, macOS will go back to light mode.
How dark mode works with applications?
Dark Mode features a dark color scheme that works system-wide, including the applications with your Mac. It can also apply to applications developed by other developers. Applications that don’t use a dark color scheme when Dark Mode is turned on either don’t support Dark Mode or have their own preferences for working in it and controlling the color scheme.
These Apple apps have special dark mode settings or features.
- Mail app perm you to use a light background in your email messages while Dark Mode is turned on. Enable black mode, then open the Mail app as well as choose Mail then go to Settings. Click the Display tab and deselect Use dark background for messages.
- Maps can now use light backgrounds while Dark Mode is on. Turn on Dark Mode, then open Maps and select Map > Settings (or Preferences). Select “choose utilize light map appearance.” In start versions of mac, select in the menu of map’s as well as deselect utilize black map.
- Notes allow you to use a light background for your notes while the dark mode is on. Turn on Dark Mode, then open Notes and select Notes > Settings (or Preferences). Deselect “Use dark background for note content.”
- Safari automatically displays websites in Dark Mode if the website was designed to support Dark Mode. If the website does not support Dark Mode, you can use Safari Reader to read articles in Dark Mode.
- TextEdit can lighten the document background while Dark Mode is on. Turn on Dark Mode, click View from the TextEdit menu bar, and deselect Use Windows Dark Background.
Pros of dark mode for Mac.
- Mac’s dark mode may be able to keep your eyes from straining. This can be especially relevant if you use your Mac at night or when it’s dark. One of the main reasons Dark Mode is being implemented on computers and mobile devices is to reduce eye strain.
- It looks smart and appeals to a wide range of people. Many people opt for the dark mode feature simply for aesthetics and nothing more. MacOS in Mojave has a lot to offer, so a quick switch to dark mode, and you must try it.
Cons of a dark mode on Mac.
- Poor readability. Dark Mode may seem like a great idea, but reading bright text on a dark background can be difficult for some people. So if you’re going to read through a lot of text, we recommend using the light theme.
- The battery may drain faster than normal. There are pros and cons to this statement, but if you do a little research, you’ll find that many users report significantly improved battery life after switching to dark mode. The main reason is that liquid crystal displays are easy to produce bright colors but require a lot of energy to produce black colors.
Now you know the pros as well as cons of dark mode and decide which is better for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do we turn off black mode on my Mac?
To turn off Dark Mode on Mac, follow these steps:
- Click the menu bar of Apple icon.
- Select System Preferences.
- Click General.
- Enable “Lite Mode” in the “Appearance” section.
Is dark mode good for MacBook battery?
Most users believe that even the darkest screen uses less light, thus saving battery. In fact, dark mode only affects battery life on OLED displays used in iPhones and iPads, but not in Macs. Additionally, Dark Mode uses more RAM on your Mac, and as a result, it can drain your battery faster than normal.
Sitting in front of a bright computer screen all day is not good for your eyes. Apple makes it easy to dim your Mac screen and invert colors in many applications. Here’s everything you need to know about enabling Dark Mode on your Mac computer and quickly switching back to Light Mode.
Muhammad Adnan has been writing about the tech industry since 2018 on a variety of topics like Cybersecurity, cryptocurrency, Software, video games, the latest gadgets, and much more.