Iron is one of the most flexible assets in Valheim. It is used for various crafts such as armour, weapons, tools, and base construction. However, you may be surprised that you won’t get Iron until the middle of the game, and you don’t know where to find it. However, unlike many games in this genre, it’s not simply a matter of going to the place and doing the necessary mining to get such materials. In this regard, Valheim is different. It’s because you have to take a few more steps to get an iron-level item.
Iron Mines in Valheim
- Most metals in Valheim are mined as ore from natural deposits. However, in the case of Iron, the circumstances are slightly different.
- For some reason, there is no iron deposit in Valheim. Thus, the Iron will be dug out of a pile of muddy scraps.
- This iron ore is only present in the Sunken Crypts in the swamp and cannot be approached until you defeat the second boss and collect the Swamp Key.
- Defeat the third boss, Bournemouth, and collect a wishbone that you can use to find piles of mud scraps elsewhere in the swamp. However, it’s not always faster and more reliable than Sunken Crypts.
How do you mine iron ore?
Once inside the basement, you will be equipped with a pickpocket and begin to hit the mud pile blocking the entrance. Every few knocks, you’ll have a chance to get a few layers of dirt and pick up a piece of iron.
If you defeat Bonemas and equip them with wishbones, you can also discover these piles of mud everywhere in the swamp biome. When equipped with wishbones, the vikings emit light.
As you approach a pile of mud, the light flashes faster. If this is okay, use a pick to dig down. However, there are many more mud piles in the catacombs and they are more common. Another advantage is that you do not manage the pitfalls of the swamp, that is, the low depth of the groundwater.
Iron mining method
Although there are superficial differences, Valheim can mine Iron just like any other metal resource. You need to take the ivy to a pile of muddy scrap and dig out the iron scrap and other resources that are in it.
Like so many things in the swamp, this is quite disgusting. Since the mud has hardened, how long has it been, and does it need poison ivy? Furthermore, why is this muddy pile of scraps full of unprocessed iron scraps, leather scraps, and withered bones?
Unfortunately, the drop rate is quite low in the pile of mud scrap iron. The probability of finding something useful in the mud is only 25%. In that respect, Iron falls the most. However, as you will need a lot from now on, it is best to make your arm round and mine as soon as you enter Crypts.
Method for refining pure iron in valheim
- Like many metal resources in Valheim, Iron is not very useful in its raw form. Smelting is necessary to process Iron.
- The blast furnace can be built in the base and must be placed near the work table. The ability to make a smelter is unlocked when the Sailing core is first collected. As you progress through the game, you’ll encounter the core of the circuit between the first and second bosses, so you should have some before getting the Iron.
- In addition to 5 Saatling Cores, 20 Stone is all that is needed to build the refinery. Fortunately, Valheim is easy to access initially, so there is no particular difficulty.
- Coal is also needed to heat the blast furnaces to produce refined metals. Coal can be obtained in several ways. If you burn food carelessly, you can get a piece of coal in return. However, it would be better to produce coal by burning firewood in a dedicated charcoal kiln.
- Once the workshop is set up, the iron scrap is poured into the smelter. A pure iron rod is formed in about 30 seconds (and two coal).
- Unlike turning copper into bronze, there is no next process after iron refining. What comes out of the refinery is a kraft resource that can be used immediately.
Smelting and utilization of Iron
- Once you find many scrap metal pieces to be able to carry, return to your smelter and start smelting. Create Iron Bar by combining 2x Coal and 1x Scrap Metal. This Iron Bar will be the main resource for making craft items for the Second Half of Valheim. The Iron is not only essential for making weapons and armor but also an important ingredient for all important tools and upgrades.
- The Place of Scrap Where You Can Find Muddy Scrap Irons at Valheim
- Before you craft an Iron, you need to find a Scrap Iron. You need to find the Muddy Scrap Piles to find the scrap iron. To find a Muddy Scrap Piles, you must find a Sunken Crypts. You must be in the Swamp biome to find Sunken Crypts.
- Open the map and see if any areas are brown and cloudy. When you hover over the marsh biome, the biome’s name is displayed in the upper right of the map screen, so you can see that it is a marsh.
- In Valheim, every world is procedural, so you have to search for the Swamp Biome before you can move on. Once you’ve found it, take a look at the Swamp Keys you got by defeating Elder.
- If you’re lucky, you can find Sunken Crypt. Like the black forest cellar, green flames, enemies, and fortified gates are landmarks and can be easily found. Once you find it, approach the door and unlock it with Swamp Key.
The Valheim Iron is an essential resource for challenging more formidable enemies and dungeons. Not only used in the manufacture of powerful equipment such as weapons, armor, and shields, but also its material contains various kinds of Iron.
Read also, How to design a Flower Pot in Minecraft?